Pages

Translate

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Introducing Zacharie- PART 1

Family and Friends,

We would like to introduce to you the man whom we are partnering with in Haiti for all ministry efforts there.  His name is Fred-Zacharie Dieuveuille and he goes by "Zacharie":



Those of you who have travelled to Ti-Riviere may have met Zacharie, as he was co-director of the High School there and also helped, and was helped by, Mission Haiti at various times in the past. 

The main information in this post and the next one will mainly be comprised of Zacharie sharing some testimonies in his own words, but as a way of introduction I will just say that he is a very intense, intelligent, and godly man.  I remember vividly the moment when I knew I trusted him.  It was at a promise-keepers meeting in the village, and Zacharie made a little speech about his wife.  He got very emotional and even cried just imagining how much God loved him to send him such a perfect wife.  The story you are about to read will share a little background on their relationship. 

Then there was the times he would borrow my seminary books (written in English) and trudge through them with dictionary in hand.  Awesome!  Capable of teaching advanced classes in French, Creole, English, Math, all Sciences, Government, and many other subjects, Zacharie is blessed with smarts, but more importantly he is very humble and very dedicated to being a blessing for his people.  I have no doubt he would be capable of "getting out" and finding some "better" life in Canada or the USA, but he has a strong calling to be an agent of transformation for Christ in Haiti.  Therefore, we are trusting him with our ministry and leaning on his wisdom and faith in many ways.  More on his role at the end of this series, but for now just enjoy his story/testimony:


(the following was written by Zacharie and edited by Cory)


Today I thank the lord for the privilege He gives me this great day to tell you my story. I am Fred Zacharie Dieuveuille, and most people call me “Zacharie.” I am a Christian and a teacher of math and physics. I grew up in the 3rd largest city in the country, Les Cayes, which is commonly known as ''Cayes.'' I married Barret Marie Enose, known as “Didi,” and three years ago we had a son named Steeve Dieuveuille, whom we call “Stevenson.”  

 

In the life of every Christian there is yesterday and today, and I will share some of my past and some of what God is doing in my life today.  I did not grow up with my father or my mother. At 6 months of age one of my aunts (on my father’s side) claimed me, and this experience really helped me and allowed me to understand typical life today in Haiti. It was she who took care of me during my childhood and my father did not care about me as his son. When I was ready to go to school it was she again who helped me.  I was a good pupil and very interested in my studies. Because it was not my parents who helped me, but my aunt, I understood that I must work hard, because at any time there could be no one to pay for my school.

 When I reached the level of High School, another aunt tried to keep my first aunt from helping me.  This was really hard for me, and this behavior troubled me greatly. I chose to accept nothing from my aunt, or even to eat her food.  The situation was not easy to overcome. What saved me is that I was able to help others in my class, and they helped me.  There was one of them I developed a friendship with who was a hairdresser. I helped him with his studies, and he helped me financially. God taught me a lot during secondary school. I hoped my aunt would always help me, yet I made a plan in case my aunt would change.  In the end this is what happened, and yet God made a way for me to succeed.

 I finished with my secondary school in 1999, and one day a friend came to me and asked if I could teach math.  I said “yes!” It was then I started to teach, but I also hoped to go to the university. In 2000 I applied to the government-run university.  They had 3000 applicants and planned to take 100 of the 3000. I was among the 10 highest applicants, and the program of study I chose was administrative science which lasted four years.  However, I left before the 3rd year because my girlfriend became pregnant from me, complicating my situation. I made every effort to help her, but her mother did not want me because I did not have great means. This was a humiliating time for me.  The girl gave birth to a little boy and her mother planned to permit her daughter to marry a man with more money.

 My friends, I understand now that when we aren't in the will of God, we experience all problems. When you experience problems in your life, remember to make sure you are in God's will!

             There was another experience at that time I want to share with you. In the year 2003 I applied for a position with the police, which is considered a very good job in Haiti.  There were 6000 applicants. After a few months, the group was reduced to the 25 candidates who obtained the highest score and I was among them.  Next came an interview and another exam.  I did very well and was requested to come for an appointment at the police academy.  However, when I went for the appointment my name was not on the list. What amazement! There was an African man there and I approached him, and asked him what had happened? I have explained that I had succeeded in all my exams and was given an appointment for that afternoon, but my name did not appear on this list. He told me not to worry.  I would be called in a few months. 
 
               I returned home with great sadness and waited every day to be called. One day I heard on the radio there would be a registration for all who wanted to work for the police, and I said what a pity! Finally I thought, I am going to participate again in hope of a second chance. I actually signed up and participated in the contest again.  The same thing repeated, and among the 25 highest scores I was there.  Then a medical person with the police force told me that I suffered from sickle-cell anemia, and I really was amazed by this news! I returned to my home and tried to be tested in four different laboratories, and each time the test was negative.

 Finally I took the test results and went to Port-au-Prince to talk with police manager again (to dispute my case), but he asked angrily, “Why do you put in doubt the reliability of my employees?” I told him, “No, I am not calling into question the reliability of your employees, but I actually wanted to know if I am sick because I did again the same test in four different laboratories, and it always came back negative. Anyway, give me a last chance to repeat the test here.”  He told me, “Not ever!”

 I returned to my home and sent a letter to the head of the academy, the head of the medical center, and the minister of police, to explain the situation and requested them to help me remedy this problem. My friends listen…after four months the candidates who earned the position with the police were out on their first day of work.  These were the very four candidates who were in the process with me, but had succeeded in getting the positions.  That day they were out in a car and were murdered by armed bandits, and all four were dead! What sadness my friends! God was looking out for me, and He wanted to spare me.   I had insisted a lot on what I wanted, but it was not the will of God. My brothers and sisters, look to know the will of God in all situations because God knows everything!


to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment