Pages

Translate

Monday, August 16, 2010

The SOUTH South Beach Diet

After the last two heavy posts about demon possession in Haiti, I thought it would be nice to share something lighter...no pun intended

There are definitely some fringe benefits to serving the Lord as missionaries.  One of those is the great food in Haiti that also somehow causes you to lose weight.  I call it the SOUTH south beach diet.  To date I (Cory) have lost about 40 lbs. this year, or a little over 5 lbs. per trip to Haiti.

There is definitely a God-element to all of this as well.  Earlier this year I became frustrated with my lack of motivation to get healthier...to excercise regularly and eat a balanced diet.  So I finally came to God in prayer and admitted I couldn't do it under my own power.  Nothing miraculous happened at that exact moment, but over the course of the year my relationship to food has changed dramatically.

Part of it is seeing the lack of food in Haiti, and even when people do eat they don't seem ravenous or crazy about it, like when we Americans go to our favorite restaurant, for example.  Another part of it is having that deep sense of satisfaction and fulfillment both from my relationship with Jesus and from my appreciation for the work He has called me to do.  I don't find myself turning to food for emotional fulfillment much anymore.

Jesus said, "Do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it.  For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them.  But seek first His kingdom, and all of these things will be given to you as well."   (Luke 12:29-31)

It is things like this that make me realize how everything in our spiritual journey is so related...the physical, spiritual, emotional, etc...

People in Haiti get that, I think.  I need to learn more from them!

No comments:

Post a Comment